Tuesday, April 12, 2011

CYM Violinist and Cellist Share their Experiences with PYSO

Elsa Lagerquist
Sergei Adelman

Recently we had the chance to sit down with violinist Elsa Lagerquist and cellist Sergei Adelman to talk with them  about their experiences performing in the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra. Elsa, 14 and Sergei, 17, have both participated this year in the PYSO, and gave us their insights about being members of this exciting group...

CYM: What made you audition for the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony?


Elsa: After four years of performing in a symphonette, and hearing that PYSO was going to Italy this summer, I decided to audition. 

Sergei: My teachers suggested that I audition.

CYM: How did you prepare for your audition?

Elsa: I practiced a lot with Ms. Tanya to get ready for the audition to join, but also before the seating auditions at the beginning of the year (for placement within the orchestra). Thank you, Ms. Tanya!

Sergei: I practiced a lot for the audition- probably at hour-and-a-half sessions.

CYM: How much do you practice your orchestra music now?

Elsa: We mostly practice when we meet with the group- we go over tougher sections in lessons, too.

Sergei: I practice November-May, during the time PYSO meets.

CYM: What has been the biggest surprise about playing in a large orchestra?


Elsa: It is so much fun! Concerts are really fun and exciting, and it is great making new friends.

Sergei: Other members of PYSO are very good players- you have to show up and know what you are doing.

CYM: What is your favorite part about being a member of PYSO? Any favorite pieces?

Elsa: My favorite part so far has been the November concert, and I really like all of the pieces we are playing. I especially liked the William Tell Overture, Roman Carnival, and the fourth movement of the Symphonie Fantastique.

Sergei:  I've made friends with the players in my section. We support each other and help each other out when we make mistakes. I like all of the pieces we are working on.

CYM: What are you looking forward to now?


Elsa: I am really excited to travel to Italy- it will be an amazing experience!


Sergei: I'm looking forward to the May concert and trip to Italy- outside of PYSO, I'm looking forward to summer music camps.


CYM: Do you have any advice for other students interested in auditioning for PYSO?

Elsa: Know that if you put in the work, you will do a good job. Don't be nervous!

Sergei: Prepare yourself and practice for your audition.




Thank you, Elsa, and Sergei, for sharing with us- what a wonderful experience.
Best of luck to the both of you in your upcoming concerts, and travels to Italy!

Be sure to mark your calendar to see the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra perform:


May 1, 2011 at 2:00 PM at Heinz Hall
Dvorak - New World Symphony
Barber - School for Scandal Overture
Elgar - Cello Concerto - excerpts (Eleanor Lee, soloist)
Order Tickets for May 1, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment