Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Novice attends CYM's Takacs Quartet concert field trip...and reports back.


Confession time: I have never actually attended a classical chamber music concert.

I know, I know.

Working daily for years among our talented string playing staff and students here at CYM, and as a music major and big fan of orchestral music- especially in a live performance setting- it surprised even me that I hadn't yet added a concert exclusively featuring classical chamber repertoire.

Even after reading Takacs's impressive biography and hearing rave reviews from Mr. Ryan and Ms. Rochelle, the moment I secured the tickets, my worrying started...

Uh... wait a second. Oakland on a weeknight- is this even a good idea?


Isn't this going to just be boiled down symphonic works anyway? Kind of stuffy, right? Just for super cosmopolitan people, you know? I mean, I can just go see the PSO any old time! Isn't there some John Williams something-or-other coming up?

Will this whole experience going to just be wasted on my painfully novice understanding of this kind of music anyway? Will I even "get it?" Even worse, will everyone else know I didn't "get it?"   They'll have to know by the dumbfounded look on my face. 

Does everyone get audience anxiety?!  Good grief.

Oakland on a Monday evening is surprisingly bustling but not overcrowded. We arrive at Carnegie Library Concert Hall with time enough to gawk for a few minutes at the gorgeous art deco inspired lobby, then we're swept off to our seats on the first tier- a direct left angle view of the four musicians seated in a semi circle at center stage.

The lights dim, and the Haydn Quartet in Bb major begins. By the middle of the first piece, I find myself relaxing my focus to the performers- their technique and precision, their flowing movements of musical communication. As the fourth movement completes, I'm captivated. It is truly amazing to witness this seemingly effortless (and gorgeous!) aural presentation while at the same time watching Edward Dusinberre, violin, Karoly Schranz, violin, Geraldine Walther, viola, and Andras Fejer, cello, all physically working their instruments together to produce such intricate melodies and syncopation. To be honest- the huge Beethoven finish was incredibly impressive, but the Debussy downright stole my heart. What a GREAT way to spend an evening!

I was very glad to discover that all of my ridiculous worrying could not have been more misplaced. Thinking back, I discovered a few things:

  • Stepping out of my comfort zone opened my eyes to this excellent new (well, new to me) frontier of music. I should do this more often!
  • Chamber music really personally grabbed my imagination and allowed me to disappear from the ebb and flow of daily life for an evening. How refreshing.
  • Its calming after effects are still noticeable! I find myself slowing down, stopping to listen, and appreciating the little lovely moments in my day.
And if you were wondering, the rest of the audience members (and members of the quartet!) could not have been more welcoming, relaxed, and not at all stuffy. I would highly recommend stepping off your usual beaten path to spend an evening immersed in chamber music.

Ready for your turn?

The lovely Takacs quartet was presented in coordination with Chamber Music Pittsburgh. You can learn more about concerts presented by the Chamber Music Pittsburgh here. Have you checked out Ms. Ashley's quartet, Freya? A local favorite, Freya presents traditional chamber offerings along with original and avant-garde works as well. You can learn more about them here.  


Happy listening!


-Ms. Autumn  (no longer a chamber music novice!)




No comments:

Post a Comment