Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Mr. Ryan's adventures this summer with Beo String Quartet

Mr. Ryan and the Beo String Quartet
If you ever wanted to go behind the scenes to take a look at the adventures of a member of a touring string quartet, you're in luck!

We are excited to follow along with Mr. Ryan this summer as he performs with the Beo String Quartet
 
He says:

"Early last fall I had the opportunity to join the Beo String Quartet, a Pittsburgh-based professional quartet. For the last three months, we’ve been preparing for our summer residencies: two weeks at the Charlotte New Music Festival, followed by an additional week at Dakota Chamber Music in Minot, ND. I couldn’t be more excited to be able to participate in these programs…summer festivals were the most meaningful musical experiences I had growing up, not only because of the powerful performances and incredible teaching I experienced, but also for the lifelong friends I found along the way.

Now I’ll get to see a festival from the other side, as a performer and teacher. At the Charlotte New Music Festival (CNMF), the quartet is performing thirteen new works composed by the festival participants: a mixture of faculty, doctoral, and masters students. Over the course of the festival, the quartet will meet and work with each student composer on the interpretation of their piece, and give a two hour presentation on composing for string quartet. Similarly, students at Dakota Chamber Music (DCM), ranging in age from ninth grade to college, will form temporary chamber groups and receive daily coaching from the Ying Quartet, Luminous Piano Trio, and Beo. Beo will also give two interactive presentations for the students, the first on “rhythm and intonation”, and the second titled “Everything But the Notes: Expressive Markings in Music” (my favorite).

My kitchen scale tells me that I’ve been learning 3 lbs. 4 oz. worth of music for these residencies! I’ve also been warned that CNMF includes a speedwriting event; composers are given 48 hours to complete a new work and the performers will have the same timeframe to learn them all, upwards of thirty pieces. Because most of it is written in an entirely new style, featuring complex rhythms, unusual harmonies, and extended playing techniques, I feel as I imagine many of my pre-twinkle students do: at first utterly confused and overwhelmed, but finally separating out the different elements needed to play, learning one element only at a time, putting it all together, and breathing a sigh of relief as my mind eventually clears. More on that process later!

CYM has asked me to give updates on our trip through the month of June. Hopefully the information I share can help out our own students’ musical studies right here in Pittsburgh, and perhaps inspire some of you to attend a summer program of your own, either here in Pittsburgh or elsewhere in the country. All the best for your summer practicing!"
                                                                      -Mr. Ryan Ash, CYM cellist
Learn more by connecting with Beo's Social media here.

No comments:

Post a Comment